University Identification Number (“UID”)

The university uses a ten-digit identification number to identify students’ permanent records, such as the transcript, registration, grade reports, enrollment certifications, student accounts, etc. This is known as the University ID (“UID”) number.

The University does not disclose a student’s UID to individuals or agencies outside Indiana University except in accordance with the Indiana University Policy on Student Records.

Students who apply for financial aid are required by federal law to provide a social security number to the university. While this number is used in the processing of financial aid, it is not the student’s primary identification number.

While in most cases students will be able to complete their business with the university through OneStart by use of a username and passphrase, there may be occasions when a student ID number is required. Students may obtain their university ID number by viewing the “View My Personal Information” page in OneStart or by bringing photo identification to the Office of the Registrar.

New students should receive UID number as part of the admission orientation process.

Access to student Records

In compliance with Section 438 of the “General Education Provisions Act” entitled “Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act,” the following constitutes the institution’s policy which instructs the student in the procedures available to provide appropriate access to personal records, while protecting confidentiality:

  1. Certain definitions and principles contained in the law and proposed guidelines adopted in the policy:
    1. “Student” is defined as one who has attended or is attending Indiana University, and whose records are in the files of the university.
    2. “Educational records” do not include records retained by individuals which are not accessible to any other person except a substitute faculty/staff member.
    3. “Public Information” is limited to name, address, e-mail address, phone, major field of study, dates of attendance, admission or enrollment status, campus, school, college, or division, class standing, degrees and awards, activities, sports, and athletic information. Records of arrests and/or convictions and traffic accident information are public information and may be released to anyone making an inquiry.
    4. “Record” means any information or data recorded in any medium, including but not limited to handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, microfiche, and electronic media.
  2. Public information shall be released freely unless the student files the appropriate form requesting that certain public information not be released. This form is available on the Office of the Registrar website.
  3. Students may have records in one or more offices maintained by administrative officers.
  4. Some departments maintain records separate from the school or college. A list of departments which have separate records, their location, and person responsible for the record may be obtained from the office of the dean of the school or college in which the department is located.
  5. Students may also have records in the following places: Registrar, Bursar, school or college (in which student is enrolled), Academic Success Center, Arts & Letters, Business, continuing Studies, Education, Liberal Studies, Natural Sciences, Nursing, and Social Sciences. Some departments maintain records separate from the school or college. Contact the dean’s office of the school or college in which the department is located. Students may also have records in the following places: 21st Century Scholars, Academic Affairs, Adult Student Center, Admissions, Athletics, Campus Life, Career Services & Placement, Mentoring Program, Children’s Center, Student Affairs, Student Development Center, Financial Aid, University Police, and the Volunteer Center.
  6. The privacy of all records may be broken at a time of emergency defined in terms of the following considerations:
    1. The seriousness of the threat to health or safety
    2. The need for access to the record in meeting the emergency
    3. Whether the person requesting the records is in a position to deal with the emergency
    4. The extent to which time is of the essence in dealing with the emergency
  7. A student’s record is open to the student, with the following exceptions:
    1. Confidential letters of recommendation placed in the files prior to January 1, 1975
    2. Records of parents’ financial status
    3. Employment records, see letter H below
    4. Medical and psychological records, see I below
    5. Some items of academic record under certain conditions, see J below
  8. The employment records excluded from accessibility are kept in the normal course of business which relate exclusively to persons as employees and are not used for any other purposes.
  9. Medical and psychological records are presently governed by State Statute, Burns Indiana Statutes, 1971 Code Edition, 34-1-14-5 and 25-33-1-17 which rigidly protects their confidentiality. They are not available to anyone other than those providing treatment, but can be reviewed by a physician or appropriate professional of the student-patient’s choice.
  10. To ensure the validity and confidentiality of reference prepared off-campus and on-campus, certain documents may carry waivers, signed by the student relinquishing the right of access to the document.
    1. Waivers are subject to the following conditions:
      1. Waivers can be signed only for the specific purposes of application for admission, candidacy for honor or honorary recognition (including financial aid based at least in part on merit), and candidacy for employment.
      2. Waivers cannot be required.
      3. The student shall be told, upon request, the names of those supplying references.
    2. All items in the academic record not covered by waivers are open to the student. Material not covered by waivers may not be protected by keeping it out of the student’s file.
  11. Student records are open to school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in their contents, except where access is prohibited by special policies such as those governing medical psychological records.
    1. A “school official” is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person servicing on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. Faculty members are considered to be advisors with a legitimate educational interest for all students currently enrolled in their classes or seeking enrollment, and others that they may be advising on an assigned basis.
    2. The determination of “a legitimate educational interest” will be made by the person responsible for the maintenance of the record. This determination must be made scrupulously and with respect for the individual whose records are involved.
    3. Academic documents inaccessible to students (because the documents have been filed before January 1, 1975 or are segregated by waivers) are to be used only for the purpose for which they were prepared.
  12. The university has established the following procedures enabling the student to have access to his record and has provided for interpretation and challenge:
    1. The student may see his or her record by filling out a request form at the office where the record of interest is maintained.
    2. Access is to be granted promptly and no later than 30 days from the date of request.
    3. The student may make the request in person or by mail.
    4. The student may obtain copies upon request (for which the university may charge).
    5. The student may request and receive interpretation of his or her record from the person (or designee) responsible for the maintenance of the record.
    6. If the student considers the record faulty, he or she can request and receive an informal and/or formal hearing of the case to the end that the record will be corrected if judged faulty or in violation of privacy;
      1. The informal hearing will be in conference with the person (or his or her designee) responsible for the maintenance of the record and - where appropriate - the party or parties authoring the record segment in question.
      2. The student may request a formal hearing by obtaining from the dean for Student Services’ Office a request form on which he or she must designate the location of the record in question and a brief explanation of the reason for faulting the record. A panel of not fewer than 10 hearing officers will be appointed by the chief administrative officer for each campus. The dean for Student Services will forward a copy of the request to the person responsible for the record and will provide the student and the keeper of the record with three names of hearing officers. The parties (student and keeper of the record in challenge) shall each strike one name; the remaining hearing officer shall conduct an administrative hearing the both parties present.
  13. Normally, records can be released - or access given - to third parties (i.e., anyone not a “school official”) only at the written request of the student.
    1. Without the consent of the student, releases to third parties may be given only as follows:
      1. To parents of students who are dependents as defined by IRS standards
      2. To federal officers as prescribed by law
      3. As required by state law
      4. To research projects on behalf of educational agencies for test norms, improving instructions, etc. (provided that the agencies guarantee no personal identification of students)
      5. To accrediting agencies carrying out their functions
      6. In response to a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena (provided that the student is notified prior to compliance or provided that a reasonable attempt to notify the student has been made)
      7. By IU police to other law enforcement agencies in the investigation of a specific criminal case
    2. A student may secure from the Registrar’s Office a “consent form” authorizing the release of specified records to specific individuals.
    3. A notification of releases made to third parties must be kept in the student’s record. This notification is open only to the student and the person in charge of the record.
    4. The third party must be informed that no further release of personally identifiable data is authorized without the written consent of the student.

Nothing in this policy requires the continued maintenance of any student record. However, if under terms of this policy a student has requested access to the record, no destruction of the record shall be made before access has been granted to the student. Persons in charge of records should ensure that only pertinent items are retained in student files.

Indiana University Southeast

4201 Grant Line Rd.
New Albany, IN 47150
(812) 941-2333

View the website in Español