C-3. Approval Process to Fill New & Vacant Appointed Positions
An approval process was implemented in 2004 for the review, approval, and filling of replacement and/or vacant positions for all appointed faculty and staff positions. The Chancellor’s Cabinet, which consists of the Chancellor and the vice chancellors for Academic Affairs, Administrative Affairs, Advancement, and Student Affairs, will review the position paperwork and make a recommendation of whether to proceed with filling a vacant position. The Chancellor will have the final approval. This process will remain in effect indefinitely until changed or modified, in writing, by campus administration.
The following information is required for positions to be considered by the Chancellor’s Cabinet:
- Completed Vacant or Authorization to Fill New or Vacant Positions forms (with appropriate signatures)
- Position Justification Form
- Updated job description
- Updated organizational chart (for staff positions)
- Current CUPA Data (for faculty positions)
Once these forms and steps have been completed, the position request can be considered by the Chancellor’s Cabinet. These requirements apply whether the position follows the normal approval process or the electronic expedited process.
- When a position becomes vacant, Human Resources (HR) will send the current job description and a position justification form to the department.
- The department will and return the document to HR along with a current organizational chart.
- HR will route the position description, position justification form, organizational chart, and the authorization to fill forms to the manager of Accounting Services for budget approval.
- The manager of Accounting Services will forward the documents to the vice chancellor for administration and finance who will add this as a discussion item at the next scheduled Chancellor Cabinet meeting. Requests for position approval must be received in the vice chancellor’s office at least three days in advance of the scheduled Chancellor Cabinet meeting. The executive assistant to the chancellor will forward all approved documents electronically to the Cabinet.
- The Cabinet will determine if the hiring process can proceed with the final approval of the Chancellor.
- Approval/disapproval will be noted on the authorization to fill form by the vice chancellor for administrative affairs and routed to HR for their action.
- Human Resources will communicate the Chancellor Cabinet’s decision to the hiring manager.