Federal Work Study

Part-time jobs for students

If you’re an undergraduate or graduate student and you need money to pay for your education, you may be eligible for a federal work-study job. To be considered for a work-study job, you must:

  • File your FAFSA by April 15 each year
  • Indicate an interest in federal work-study on your FAFSA
  • Accept a federal work-study award via One.IU 
  • Once instructed by your new employer to do so, complete the Work Study Student Application

Students with exceptional financial need will be considered for work-study eligibility. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have previously worked in work-study positions will be given first priority.

What is work-study?

Work-study jobs are part-time jobs available on and off campus. If you have a work-study job, the U.S. government pays part of your wages. How much you earn depends on how many hours you work and your hourly pay rate. If you don’t receive a work-study job or you want to earn more, you can always apply for non-work-study positions.

You can find work-study positions as well as other jobs through the Career Development Center. If you decide to change work-study jobs or take a second job, contact us. A federal work-study coordinator will work with you to make sure you stay eligible.