We maintain three different names for you:
- Primary. This is your legal name according to the federal government and the state of Indiana. It’s on your academic record, transcripts, and your diploma (unless you’ve indicated a degree name). Please view your unofficial transcript to see how your full Primary name appears on your record, as the Student Center only displays your first and last name.
- Preferred. You can change this to a nickname or shortened version of your name (e.g., Cindy instead of Cynthia). It’s used in learning management systems such as Canvas, class and grade rosters, and on your CrimsonCard card.
- Degree. This is used on your diploma only. You can request a variation of your legal name for your diploma (e.g., your middle initial rather than your full middle name).
Change your primary name
It’s your responsibility to verify that your primary name is listed correctly, including hyphens, spaces, lower and uppercase letters, and accent marks.
If your name has been legally changed or is inaccurate in our system, you can request a change. The process for changing your primary name depends on whether you are a student only or both a student and an employee. Either way, you’ll need to include legal documentation of your name, such as:
- Your driver’s license
- Your passport
- Your Social Security card
- An official court document
If you’re a current or former student
Submit your name change through our secure contact form.
You’ll need to include a scan or photo of legal documentation of your name. If you don’t immediately get a success message after submitting your update, make sure the image size, filename extension, and filename length follow the criteria listed on the contact form.
After your form has been processed, your updated primary name will appear on your academic record, diploma, and transcripts.
Change your preferred name
To see your current names and change your preferred name, log in to One.IU and go to Personal Information. Click “Start,” then choose the Biographical Info tab. Click the pencil icon next to “Preferred Name” to edit and save. Note that this will not update the name on your diploma or transcripts.
Change your degree name
Your degree name, also called the diploma name, defaults to your primary/legal name upon first enrollment. If you want your diploma issued in a variant of your primary name, you may specify a different degree name when you apply for graduation. If you want to modify degree name after submitting graduation application, log in to One.IU and go to Personal Information. Click “Start,” then choose the Biographical Info tab. Click the pencil icon next to “Degree Name” to edit and save.
Note: Degree name changes made within 30 days of the degree conferral date may not be effective. Degree conferral dates are Commencement Day for Spring graduates, and the last day of the semester for Fall and Summer graduates.