Library Strategic Plan
IU Southeast Library Strategic Plan 2030
IU Southeast Library Student Success & Opportunity Goals
Goal 1: The IU Southeast Library will reduce the cost of higher education for our students, increase access to required course materials, support open pedagogy, and continue integrating high impact practices into our work-study employment program. (Pillar 1, Goal 1)
- Pursue strategies that support engagement in open access initiatives (including open educational resources and no cost textbook alternatives)
- Refine federal work-study model to increase academic persistence, retention, and completion by integrating high impact practices (HIP), faculty-student mentoring, and assessment using direct and indirect measures of student learning.
Goal 2: The IU Southeast Library will expand the reach of library instructional services and integrate information literacy across the curriculum. (Pillar 1, Goal 1)
- Partner with teaching faculty to increase the number of courses that meet the information literacy general education student learning outcomes.
- Develop and implement direct and indirect measures of student learning of information literacy skills in related library services like research assistance.
Goal 3: The IU Southeast Library will contribute to a sense of campus and community belonging for students, faculty, and staff through library hosted and/or sponsored programming and social media channels. (Pillar 1, Goal 1)
- Increase outreach to traditionally under-served constituents (including online-only students, part-time faculty, and others) to ensure they are aware of and able to take advantage of library resources and services.
- Assess the effectiveness of library physical space and develop a strategic vision and plan for renovating and repurposing the first-floor stacks of the IU Southeast Library with an emphasis on creating new teaching and learning spaces consistent with the library’s academic mission.
Goal 4: The IU Southeast Library will increase students’ career-readiness and help prepare them for life-long learning. (Pillar 1, Goal 2)
- Create microcredential(s) for information literacy, based on the general education learning outcomes (including both basic and advanced information literacy credentialing).
- Pursue internships for work study students in Access Services.
Goal 5: The IU Southeast Library will support the campus’ recruitment and retention of diverse populations of students, faculty, and staff through diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and accessibility (DEIJA) programming and training. (Pillar 1, Goal 3)
- Incorporate DEIJA awareness into library professional development.
- Provide welcoming, inclusive, and effective physical and online spaces that support both the academic mission of our university and the formal and informal needs of our patrons.
- Create and collaborate on DEIJA programming.
- Incorporate anti-racist and trauma-informed teaching practices into the instruction program.
Goal 6: The IU Southeast Library will pursue strategies and dedicate funds to support diverse and inclusive collections. (Pillar 1, Goal 3)
IU Southeast Library Transformative Research & Creativity Goals
Goal 1: The Library will highlight and extend the reach and accessibility of IU Southeast faculty, staff, and student work through expanded services and shared digital collections. (Pillar 2 Goal)
- Increase graduate and undergraduate research and faculty scholarship in IUScholarWorks.
- Grow our librarian liaison program to support faculty research and teaching and learning.
- Advocate for and assist in transitioning campus student publications to open digital platforms.
Goal 2: The Library will support the research of IU Southeast faculty, staff, and students through our services and collections. (Pillar 2 Goal)
- Increase marketing and functionality of one-on-one research assistance to students, faculty, and staff.
- Continue regular inventory of the physical collection to ensure integrity of the collection.
- Partner with relevant departments on campus to promote library and campus research tools, services, and resources.
IU Southeast Library Service to Our State & Beyond Goals
Goal 1: IU Southeast library will serve as a host and partner to connect IU Southeast to the community. (Pillar 3, Goal 1)
- Grow our partnership with the Floyd County Library and connect faculty and students with local public library and community programming opportunities.
- Enhance social media channels to engage people, promote library information and events, and network with other IU Southeast departments and community partners.
- Increase the accessibility, integrity, and usage of the library archives and special collections.
Goal 2: Library faculty will perform relevant service within the community, and conduct and present research that supports the campus, community, and the state. (Pillar 3, Goal 2)