Special Education Concentration
Dedicated and creative special educators make a difference in the lives of students with disabilities and their families.
Our M.S. Ed. Program offers a concentration in special education that enables teachers to address the scholastic needs of students with mental, emotional, learning and other differences or disabilities. This concentration requires a total of 39 credit hours of graduate level work, of which 27 hours focus specifically on special education teaching skills.
The special education concentration meets the required accreditation outcomes, prepares candidates with required research skills, guarantees that curriculum needs are met and adds the recognition of a concentration in special education to the M.S.Ed. degree.
At this time, this program is only appropriate for those seeking an initial special education license. For those who already hold a special education license, we encourage you to explore the other concentration areas IU Southeast offers.
All courses are 3 credit hours unless otherwise noted.
- EDUC-H 520 - Education and Social Issues
- EDUC-J 500 - Instruction in Context and Curriculum
- EDUC-P 507 - Assessment in Schools
- EDUC-E 590 - Research in Secondary Education
Special Education Courses
- EDUC-K 504 - Methods of Teaching Students with Special Needs
- EDUC-K 505 - Introduction to Special Education for Graduate Students
- EDUC-K 563 - Learning Disabilities I
- EDUC-K 544 - Education the Socially/Emotionally Disturbed II
- EDUC-K 535 - Assessment/Remediation of Mildly Handicapped I
- EDUC-K 553 - Management of Academic and Social Behavior
- EDUC-K 580 - Curriculum & Methods of Education for Mental Disabilities
- EDUC-K 588 - Supervised Teaching in Special Education
- Communicate with Dr. Sarah Sehlinger, program coordinator, to ensure your goals and our program align and for advising: email@example.com
- Complete online application. The $40 application fee is currently waived due to COVID-19 but may be reinstated at any time. If you have questions about the application, please contact Tracy Stracener, Records Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 941-2388.
- Choose the Special Education program that you are pursuing, or if you wish to pursue your Master of Science, choose Elementary or Secondary with a Special Education Concentration. You can find out more information about the MS program on the Graduate Programs page.
- The online application will prompt you for a brief personal statement and will ask you to upload a copy of current teaching license or statement of eligibility, if applicable for your program.
- Fill out this online self-evaluation survey.
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed at institutions other than an IU school. A 2.5 GPA for all undergraduate coursework, 3.0 GPA for all graduate coursework must be reflected on all transcripts. Many universities also have an online delivery of transcripts. Those can be sent to this email: email@example.com
Please send sealed official transcripts to the Student Records Specialist at the following address:
Tracy Stracener, Records Specialist
IU Southeast School of Education
Hillside Hall 108A
4201 Grant Line Road
New Albany, IN 47150