Graduate Licensing Requirements

Indiana Licensing Requirements

Initial Licensure

Before You Apply
To receive an Indiana state teaching license, you will need to fulfill the following license requirements:

  • Complete your educator preparation program
  • Take licensing exams for your selected content area(s) and have the results reported to Indiana University
  • Take a pedagogy test in the developmental area & your license
  • Earn your CPR/AED/Heimlich certification (Not needed for additions)
  • Complete Suicide Prevention Training (Not needed for additions, only original licenses such as Building Level Administrator and School Counseling)

Praxis Tests
Indiana requires passing scores on designated subject area competency tests. Registration for the tests online at the ETS website.

How to Apply
When you have met all the requirements, you are ready to submit your online application to the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE).

  1. Log on to the Indiana LVIS (Licensing Verification and Information System) and create an individual profile.
  2. Upload your CPR/AED/Heimlich certification.
  3. Upload proof of Suicide Prevention Training.

Kentucky Licensing Requirements

Applicants for a KY "Statement of Eligibility", who complete their coursework at an out-of-state institution (including IU Southeast), must first acquire a license from that institution's state, and provide a copy of that license with their application for the KY license.

Applying for Certification
Beginning May 2, 2022, the application for certification can be submitted electronically by creating/logging into your account in the new EPSB website. Once logged in, click on “Start an Application” on the Dashboard page and follow the prompts in the application wizard to apply for Initial certification and submit the required documentation. A certification fee of $85 will be required as the final step before submitting your electronic application.

To apply for a Kentucky license, you must complete an Out-of-State Prepared Educator Candidate Recommendation form that must be signed off by the College or University Licensing Advisor.

Submitting Official Transcripts
Official Bachelor’s and Master’s/graduate (if applicable) transcripts must be submitted in addition to the application.

Transcripts are only considered official if submitted one of the following ways:

  • Sent by mail on official transcript paper to:

    KDE Certification,
    300 Sower Blvd., 5th Floor
    Frankfort, KY 40601

    *Official transcripts that are mailed or dropped off at the office are NOT returned to the applicant.

  • Electronic transcripts should be sent DIRECTLY from the institution's third-party transcript provider to Electronic transcripts are not accepted if printed by or forwarded by the applicant.

The Kentucky PRAXIS requirements can be found on the ETS Website.

If you have tested outside of Kentucky, select the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (code 7283) to have ETS electronically submit your scores to our office. Tests taken in Kentucky should automatically be reported to the Education Professional Standards Board.

If you have any further questions, contact:

Photo of Caitlin Jones

Caitlin Jones

Licensing Advisor

Hillside Hall 108D
Phone: (812) 941-2251

Campus Events

South Eats Fresh!

South Eats Fresh!

May 20th, 2024

11:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Canoeing/Kayaking at Cave County Canoes

Canoeing/Kayaking at Cave County Canoes

May 24th, 2024

11:45 AM - 6:00 PM

See All Events » Submit an Event »

Indiana University Southeast

4201 Grant Line Rd.
New Albany, IN 47150
(812) 941-2333

View the website in Español