Application Guidelines for Faculty/Student Working Groups
The Faculty/Student Working Group Award creates a summer faculty fellowship for faculty members who will be working with 2 to 4 students on individual or joint research projects or creative work during the summer. The number of groups awarded and the amount awarded to faculty may vary from year to year. Typically, the Faculty/Student Working Group provides funding for a summer faculty fellowship at $8,000 and student research fellowships at $1,015 per student.
Application Deadline: February 15
Submit completed applications to the Office of Academic Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please format your application using the headings below in the sequence given.
- Description of the Project
- Abstract: The abstract is meant to serve as a succinct and accurate description of the proposed work when separated from the application.
- Character and scope, including explicit statement of research question/hypothesis or creative problem. State the proposal’s long-term objectives and specific aims.
- Method and plan of work: Describe concisely the research design and methods for achieving these objectives.
- Presumable scholarly significance: Place project in context. Cite relevant literature, if applicable.
- Progress on the project to date, if applicable, and projected timeline for completion and publication/exhibition.
- Projected likelihood that this project will lead to external funding.
- Qualifications of the Faculty Mentor:
- Applicant's special competence for this project (background, training, preparation).
- Papers published or presented by the applicant related to this topic.
- Other publications/creative works by the applicant.
- References (give name, title, and address). Letters of reference should be sent directly to the Office of Academic Affairs in care of email@example.com. A letter from the applicant's dean is required in all cases. Those without an established record of research should request additional references.
- Qualifications of the Students in the Working Group:
For each student who will participate in the working group, please provide:
- Role on project: e.g., hours of work expected, product/outcome expected, method for assessment of student outcomes
- Previous Research Funding:
- List all other IU Southeast internal grants and fellowships received in the past five years. This includes Summer Faculty Fellowships, Research Support funds, Grants in Aid, etc. Please provide dates and descriptions of resulting productivity.
- List all external funding you have received for research/creative work in the past five years.
Up to $500 is available for supplies and equipment. If requesting funds, provide an itemized budget.
NOTE: Faculty mentor and all participating students must sign the application cover page.