Academic Accommodations

Procedures to follow

It is the student's responsibility to initiate consideration for accommodations relating to course or degree requirements. The steps for consideration are as follows:

  1. The student needs to discuss any problems they are having with requirements (degree or course) with the Coordinator of Disability Services (henceforth referred to as Coordinator).
  2. Based on appropriate documentation and discussion with the student regarding past experiences, the Coordinator decides if accommodations are warranted and what accommodations should be recommended.
  3. The student will be informed of Coordinator's recommendations prior to notifying the instructor or dean in writing.
  4. If the student is dissatisfied with any decisions relating to requests for academic accommodations, should ordinarily attempt to resolve the matter by making an informal complaint to the person involved.
  5. If the problem is not resolved to the student's satisfaction by contacting the person involved, the student may choose to appeal by following the procedures outlined in the Discrimination Grievance Review Procedures for IU Southeast Employees and Students.

When determining whether accommodations are appropriate, the following will be considered:

  • The degree to which the student's ability to meet the requirement in question is adversely affected by the disability.
  • What equally effective courses can be substituted.
  • Whether the accommodation in question will fundamentally alter the academic program.

How do I receive accommodations for a documented disability?

In order to receive accommodations, you must present appropriate documentation to the Coordinator of Accessible Educational Services. Forms are available that show what is needed for appropriate documentation. You then need to request an accommodation. The Coordinator will determine if that accommodation is reasonable based on the documentation, discussions with faculty if necessary, and the course in question.

If your professor refuses to provide you with the accommodations you need, you are strongly encouraged to talk with the Coordinator as soon as possible. The Coordinator will then act as a liaison, getting both sides of the situation to mediate and arrive at a solution. You should not wait until the end of the semester since accommodations cannot be retroactively provided.

What if I require an accommodation during a test?

If appropriate documentation has been presented that demonstrates a need for testing accommodations, there are a couple of options. Possible testing accommodations are extended time (double time) and/or a distraction-reduced environment in which to take the test. First consult with your professor to find out where the test will take place, either with the professor or in the Student Success Center.

If tests are to be taken in the Student Success Center, the student is responsible for setting up the test time within a reasonable amount of time (usually two weeks notice is needed to set up a test time). You should take their class syllabus which lists their test dates to the Student Success Center to schedule the entire semester's test dates. You are also responsible for making sure you are on time for the test and cancel if needed. The professor is responsible for making sure the test arrives at the testing place before the appointed time. See the Student Success Center website for more information.

If I have a disability or temporary injury that makes it difficult for me to take notes, can you provide a notetaker?

Yes. The professor will be asked to make an announcement in class asking for a volunteer to take notes. You will be provided with a carbonless notebook free of charge. The volunteer notetaker will take notes as they normally would, and it automatically makes a copy.

Where can I go to get tested for a learning disability or attention deficit disorder?

There are several private psychologists and psychiatrists who can do this type of testing. Ask your doctor if they can recommend one, or look for one in the yellow pages. You can also get tested at the University of Louisville Learning Improvement Center. Vocational Rehabilitation is also another possibility. However, you must meet their criteria that your disability substantially impairs you in working or finding a job.