Admission to the School Counseling Program
Candidates interested in the School Counseling Program will submit 2 separate applications.
Application #1, known as Decision Point I, allows qualified candidates admission to the Graduate School to take the necessary pre-requisite courses before they submit Application #2, known as Decision Point II, to the Clinical Cohort. If candidate has an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5 or a graduate GPA of at least 3.0, they will be admitted to Application #1, Decision Point I and can begin taking pre-requisite courses.
All candidates must take G500 Orientation to Counseling before submitting Application #2. Some candidates must also take a course in Special Education and Classroom Management.
Application # 2, also known as Decision Point II, is for admission to the Clinical Cohort, which allows qualified candidates to complete the 12 courses necessary to earn a Master's of Science in Education, as a School Counseling Major. Candidates submit Application #2, Decision Point II March 1st, are admitted to the Clinical Cohort in May, and will complete the 12 courses in a pre-determined sequence, completing the program in 24 months. Candidates are required to have 1 year post-bachelor’s experience working with kids to be eligible for the Clinical Coursework.
How to submit Application #1 or Transition Point 1
- Please schedule an in-person, phone, or zoom Advising Session by emailing the program coordinator, Dr. Mary Bradley, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email at least 2 dates and times you are available for an advising session
- These sessions will be approximately 45 minutes long.
- Submit the School of Education Graduate Application.
- Neither Departmental Questions nor a Personal Statement are required at this time.
- Follow the directions for submitting all official transcripts and paying the application fee.
Once materials have been received, the Program Coordinator will review transcripts and candidate will receive an official letter in the mail along with a detailed Academic Advising Checklist to indicate which Pre-Requisites the candidate must take before submitting Application 2, Application to the Cohort.
How to begin Application #2, Transition Point II, to the Clinical Cohort
The Clinical Cohort begins each year in May; the deadline for Application #2, Transition Point II, to the Clinical Cohort is the first Monday of March.
- Complete necessary Pre-requisite courses, as indicated by the Academic Checklist you received when conditionally admitted to the School of Education as a School Counseling major.
- Read Application #2 Directions.
- Print, sign, and include the School Counseling Clinical Experience Agreement Form with you application.
- Print, sign, and include the School Counseling Program Terms of Agreement Form with your application.
- All materials should be placed in an 8.5 x 11 manila envelope, with your name clearly written on the front of the envelope.
- Submit completed application in an manila envelope to Dr. Bradley's office: Hillside Hall room 0008, Indiana University Southeast, 4201 Grant Line Rd, New Albany, IN 47150, or the School of Education front office by:
Clinical Cohort Application Deadline: first Monday of March