Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q: When did the Tobacco-Free policy become effective?

A: January 1, 2008

Q: What do you mean by "tobacco-free"?

A: Use of any tobacco or tobacco-derived product, as defined by the University’s Tobacco-Free Policy, will be prohibited on IU Southeast properties including:

Main Campus
4201 Grant Line Road
New Albany, IN 47150

Hausfeldt Building
743 Hausfeldt Lane
New Albany, IN 47150

IU Southeast Graduate Center
300 Missouri Avenue
Suite 400
Jeffersonville, IN 47130

Q: Whom does this policy affect?

A: Visitors, faculty, staff, volunteers, students, contract/other employees, contractors and service representatives. In fact, it applies to anyone who comes to campus.

Q: Where can I smoke?

A: Smoking is permitted only in your personal vehicle. Parking lots owned or operated by the university are included in the ban; however, there will be no effort to enforce the ban in private vehicles located on university property provided users make a reasonable effort to contain smoking materials inside the vehicle (e.g., not throwing cigarette butts out of the window).

Q: Is any tobacco/smoking allowed in student housing?

A: No.

Q: How will the policy be enforced?

A: The policy states that enforcement will depend upon the cooperation of all faculty, staff, and students not only to comply with this policy but also to encourage others to comply with this policy in order to promote a healthy environment in which to work, study, and live. Accordingly, tobacco users are expected to voluntarily comply with the policy. Anyone who observes a possible violation may courteously and without confrontation inform the individual of the tobacco-free policy and attempt to offer an information card. The card outlines the tobacco-free campus policy. More information about these cards can be found at Those who suspect another is violating the policy may report it to the appropriate unit for possible disciplinary action.

Q: What are the consequences for violating the policy?

A: Individuals who knowingly violate the policy will be referred to the appropriate campus administrative unit for disciplinary action. Please report staff members who violate the policy to Human Resources (941-2356); report students to the Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs (941-2420), and report faculty members to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (941-2210).

Violations may also result in a citation by law enforcement in accordance with state law.

Q: Can visitors smoke on our campus?

A: No. Visitors may not smoke on IU Southeast property.

Faculty & Staff Information

Q: What pharmacological therapies are available to university employees with employer-provided health insurance?

A: Contact the company that provides your coverage.

Q: What resources are available to help those who are struggling with this change and would like counseling?

A: Full-time appointed employees have access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at 1-888-234-8327 (toll-free) or Students, faculty and staff have an on-campus resource for concerns. Go to

Q: Can I use the money I put aside in my Tax Saver Benefit (TSB) account to pay for costs related to smoking cessation aids and counseling that are not covered by insurance?

A: Yes, you can use your TSB money to pay for counseling (by a licensed counselor, M.D., Ph.D., social worker), nicotine gum not covered by insurance, or for co-pays on items that are partially covered by insurance (patches, nasal sprays, inhalers, drugs for smoking cessation, etc.). If you have questions or want to be certain that you have picked a counselor that is acceptable for use of TSB funds, call Nyhart at (800) 284-8412.

Q: Does the policy affect employees at facilities off the main IU Southeast campus?

A: Yes, the policy applies to everyone at all IU Southeast facilities, regardless of location.

Q: Isn’t this a violation of my civil rights?

A: No. The Trustees of Indiana University have the authority to govern the use of university property and regulate its use.

Q: How should managers/supervisors talk to employees about the policy?

A: It is recommended that managers/supervisors should inform all employees of this policy both in writing and in person.

Q: What should managers/supervisors do if one of their employees violates the policy?

A: Violations of campus policy should be routed through the established progressive discipline process.

Q: Will progressive discipline be used if someone violates this policy?

A: Employees who engage in knowing repeated violations of the policy will be addressed through progressive discipline.

Q: Can university vehicles be used to travel off of university property to go on break and smoke off campus?

A: University vehicles are to be used for business purposes only; using a university vehicle solely for the purpose of going off campus to smoke without a legitimate business purpose is prohibited.

Q: How do I tell visitors about our smoking policy?

A: You may simply state, "For the health of our visitors, students and employees, tobacco is not allowed on our campus." You may also want to acquire some Info Cards. Visit

Q: What resources are available to assist in the transition?

A: IU Southeast understands that change can be difficult. Visit our Resources to Help You Quit page for more information.

Thank you for your support!

General tips for communicating with visitors

Faculty or staff member courteously and tactfully approaches the person and calmly explains the tobacco-free campus policy. "For the health and safety of our visitors, students and employees, IU Southeast is a tobacco-free campus. Please extinguish your cigarette." Give him/her the card. Walk away.

Campus Events

South Eats Fresh!

South Eats Fresh!

May 20th, 2024

11:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Canoeing/Kayaking at Cave County Canoes

Canoeing/Kayaking at Cave County Canoes

May 24th, 2024

11:45 AM - 6:00 PM

See All Events » Submit an Event »

Indiana University Southeast

4201 Grant Line Rd.
New Albany, IN 47150
(812) 941-2333

View the website in Español