To earn the M.A. in English, you must complete a total of 36 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- English graduate certificate courses (20 cr. hours)
- MA core courses (8 cr. hours)
- MA elective courses (8 cr. hours)
To increase your expertise in specific areas, you may specialize (via stackable graduate certificates) in:
- Language and literature
- Composition studies
- English Graduate Certificate (20 cr.)
- You must complete one of the following IU Online English graduate certificates: literature, literature and language, or composition studies.
- Core Skills and Methods of Advanced Literary Study (8 cr.)
- Choose two from among these courses: ENG L506 Intro to Methods of Criticism and Research –OR– ENG L646 Readings in Media/Literature/Culture –OR– ENG W509 Writing and Literary Studies –OR– ENG GS00 Introduction to the English Language.
- ENG X500/600 Any graduate English course (4 cr.)
- ENG W609 Independent writing project (4 cr.) By permission only.