IU Southeast offers a Graduate Certificate in Reading that provides professional training in how to effectively teach reading, with separate concentrations in elementary or secondary education.
This certificate is taught partially online and is a good fit for:
- Practicing teachers who want further literacy instruction skills, but don’t have time for the 24-credit hour licensing program.
- Graduates who want to learn more about providing literacy instruction for children in the home or community.
- Graduates who want to add another component to their teaching license.
The 12-credit hour certificate is divided into four courses covering:
- Teaching Reading
- Language Arts
- Assessments and Interventions
- Instructional Strategies (customized to individual students)
Certificate hours can be applied toward a Master of Science in Education with either an elementary or secondary concentration for licensed teachers who apply to the degree program.