About IU Southeast Diversity
IU Southeast is committed to making the university a welcoming, inclusive, and diverse environment in and outside the classroom. We serve students, staff, faculty and the surrounding community at IU Southeast through dozens of efforts and programs run by dedicated staff and volunteers. Many of our efforts are listed below with links you can explore. We hope you find our page useful. If you have any questions or comments, contact us.
James J. Wilkerson, Director, Office of Equity and Diversity
Seuth Chaleunphonh, Dean of Students
Dr. Sau Hou Chang, Academic Affairs Diversity Coordinator
Additional pages under the About Us category
Our Diversity Efforts
- Maintaining a welcoming and inclusive campus climate to all who study here, including people of diverse races, cultures, and religions, and with respect for differences of gender, learning, physical ability, age, political views, military service, among others.
- Taking a firm and active stance in addressing harassment and violence against women.
- Offering all employees a means to address workplace issues relating to diversity
- Being diverse in our hiring.
- Bringing diversity-related events and opportunities to the campus and community, many of them free of charge.
- Facilitating classroom techniques and content that promotes diversity and discussion through periodic training sessions sponsored by the Institute for Learning and Teaching Excellence.
- Welcoming student-run, faculty-advised registered student organizations such as the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) Veterans Student Organization (VSO), Jewish Student Union, Non-Traditional Student Union, and others, and by providing grants to help student organizations create events and programs through Campus Life. Campus Life maintains a list of registered student organizations.
- Running the Adult Student Center to support non-traditional students.
- Offering faculty the “Culture Bus” grants each semester through which they can take students on field trips to museums and other cultural events, locations.
- Awarding the efforts of University members through the annual Chancellor’s Diversity Award.
- Giving students the opportunity to study abroad through International Programs.
- Running a periodic Campus Climate survey and maintaining diversity statistics.
- Providing annual training for faculty and staff regarding Title IX responsibilities, people with disabilities, gender issues (see Safe Zone training) and more.
- Making diversity an important component of the campus Strategic Plan
- Offering faculty the opportunity to apply for semester-long research, teaching, and service faculty fellowships that include course-release time.
- Offering students the opportunity to earn a certificate in Gender Studies, and to attend an undergraduate Gender Studies Conference.
These are many of the ways we address diversity on our campus. As you can see, we are committed to diversity in many forms at IU Southeast. For more information, contact one of the diversity staff. We’re happy to assist you.
Our Web site is constantly changing, if you have questions, would like more information, or have a suggestions or corrections to the Web site please contact Dr. Sau Hou Chang.
Thank you for visiting the Diversity web pages of Indiana University Southeast.