All about your diploma

You’ll get a red IU diploma cover—but not the diploma itself—at Commencement. There are a few steps you need to take to ensure you get your diploma:

  • Verify or update your primary name at least one month before you’re scheduled to graduate
  • Verify or update your student home address (be sure to choose “Student Home,” not “Home” or “Mailing”)
  • Make sure there are no holds on your account
  • Apply to graduate

All diplomas other than professional diplomas are 8 ½ x 11 inches. Professional diplomas (Doctor of Jurisprudence and Doctor of Optometry) are 16 x 20 inches.

How to get your diploma

We’ll mail your diploma to your student home address 10 to 12 weeks after you graduate, once we’ve verified your final grades and that you completed your degree requirements.

Please contact Student Central at 812-941-2100 for assistance.

If you have an international student home address, you can expect to get your diploma in six to eight weeks after we mail it. Diplomas are sent via U.S. Air Mail.

If you want your diploma sent to an international address, you must enter your full international address as your student home address.

Electronic Diplomas (CeDiplomas)

If you graduated in May 2018 or after, you have the option to get a CeDiploma - an official, secure, and verifiable proof of your degree completion.

CeDiplomas can be used by future employers, licensing agencies, or any other third party to verify your achievement. After you have purchased your CeDiploma, you may share it with anyone you choose.

Once your CeDiploma is available (unless you have a hold on your record), you will be sent an email to your IU email providing you ordering details. You don’t have to wait for the email to pre-order one, though. Simply search “electronic diplomas” in One.IU to access the application site.

Changing the name on your diploma

The name on your diploma will be the same as your primary name on record. You can request a variation of your legal name (for example, first or middle initial instead of your full first or middle name) on your degree.

Learn how to change your degree name