C-7. Academics and Grievances
Target Group: Basic BSN and RN-BSN Students
Policy Type: Revision
To provide a systematic process for resolving student issues or problems in the School of Nursing.
- Students in the School of Nursing are expected to meet the standards of conduct as defined in the IU Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities and Conduct, the American Nurses Association’s Standards of Professional Performance, and the IU Southeast Essential Abilities.
- Students are encouraged to consult with nursing faculty associated with the problem/issue as the first step towards resolution.
- It is expected that the course faculty will discuss with students any issues/problems that violate standards of conduct. First is a verbal discussion, and if inadequate response, progresses to a written warning. If the behavior is serious enough to warrant a written clinical contract , the faculty will identify the detrimental behavior and outline steps for improvement.
- If not resolved in the School of Nursing or if the behavior violates the IU Southeast Student Code of conduct, the student/faculty will follow the IU Southeast grievance process.
- Plagiarism, cheating, etc. will be handled through the Office of Student Affairs and the dean of the School of Nursing.
- Violation of academic and/or conduct standards may be cause for dismissal from the nursing program.
Effective Date: October 2002
Approved by: Admission, Progression, Graduation Committee: February 8, 2010
Approved by: Council of Nursing Faculty: March 15, 2010
III. General Policies
- C-1 Annual Requirements and Registering for Nursing Classes
- C-2 Approval of Undistributed Courses
- C-3 Definition of Clock Hour per Credit Hour
- C-4 Course Time Limit
- C-5 Essential Abilities
- C-6 Nursing Scholarships / Financial Assistance
- C-7 Academics and Grievances
- C-8 Use of Social Media and other Electronic Communication
- C-9 Withdrawal from Nursing Courses
- C-10 Dismissal Policy
- C-11 Reinstatement to the Nursing Major
- C-12 Clinical Contracts
- C-13 Student Retention Algorithm