C-10. Dismissal Policy
Target Group: Basic BSN and RN-BSN Students
Policy Type: Revision
To establish criteria for student dismissal from the program.
A student will be dismissed from the program when, in the judgment of the Admission, Progression, and Graduation (APG) Committee, there is a lack of progress toward the degree. Lack of progress will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Failure to:
- Achieve a 2.0 semester grade point average in any two consecutive semesters.
- Earn a grade of C (2.0) or S (satisfactory) in any two required nursing courses (didactic or practicum/clinical) on the first attempt.
- Achieve a minimum grade of C (2.0) in any required nursing didactic course or S (Satisfactory) in any required nursing practicum/clinical course by the second attempt.
- Achieve a grade of C in three (3) or more general education courses required for the BSN degree. Of the three courses, only two (2) failures will be allowed in science course work. Any grade below a “C” is considered unsatisfactory (failing).
- Meet Indiana University Southeast essential abilities expectations.
- Meet expectations of the IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct.
- Falsification of records or reports, plagiarism, or cheating on an examination, quiz, or any other assignment are cause for dismissal (See IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct).
- Dismissal from a course for violations of an existing clinical contract, violations of accepted practices in confidentiality, patient health and patient safety are cause for dismissal from the School of Nursing.
- The faculty reserves the right to dismiss any student whose personal integrity, health, or conduct demonstrates unfitness to continue preparation for the profession of nursing. Integrity and conduct will be judged according to the standards of the most recent Code for Nurses as adopted by the American Nurses’ Association and the IU Southeast Essential Abilities.
- The dismissal of any student from the School of Nursing is contingent upon review by the Admission, Progression, and Graduation Committee. Student dismissal is subject to the IU Southeast appeal process.
Effective Date: Summer 1994
Approved by: Admission, Progression, Graduation Committee: December 7, 2009
Approved by: Council of Nursing Faculty: December 12, 2009
III. General Policies
- C-1 Annual Requirements and Registering for Nursing Classes
- C-2 Approval of Undistributed Courses
- C-3 Definition of Clock Hour per Credit Hour
- C-4 Course Time Limit
- C-5 Essential Abilities
- C-6 Nursing Scholarships / Financial Assistance
- C-7 Academics and Grievances
- C-8 Use of Social Media and other Electronic Communication
- C-9 Withdrawal from Nursing Courses
- C-10 Dismissal Policy
- C-11 Reinstatement to the Nursing Major
- C-12 Clinical Contracts
- C-13 Student Retention Algorithm