C-1. Annual Requirements and Registering for Nursing Classes
Target Group: Basic BSN and RN-BSN Students
Policy Type: New Policy
To ensure that BSN, Traditional RN to BSN Completion and Online RN to BSN Completions students are in compliance with CPR, immunization, background check and drug screens each semester (see attached table).
- In order to register for nursing classes, authorization must be granted from the School of Nursing. Effective Fall 2011 annual requirements must be up-to-date and current for the entire semester in which the student is enrolling before the student can be authorized. Annual requirements include:
- TB skin test or screening*
- Criminal background check
- Drug screen**
- Proof of licensure in home state (Online RN to BSN) or Indiana license (Traditional RN to BSN)
- BSN students
- If documentation is current for the entirety of the upcoming semester the student will be authorized to register for nursing classes starting with the campus early (priority) registration.
- If annual requirements are not current for the upcoming semester, the student will not be authorized to register for nursing classes until documentation has been received by the School of Nursing to show that the requirements have been met.
- Example: If the student’s CPR or TB skin test expires during the Spring semester for which the student is registering, they must be renewed prior to the Spring semester .
- Traditional RN to BSN Completion Students
- Traditional RN to BSN completion students will be required to submit proof of up-to-date and current TB test or screening and CPR certification as it expires.
- The student will not be permitted to attend classes if up-to-date and current documentation is not submitted to the nursing office before the expiration date of TB/CPR documentation.
- TB and CPR documents must be submitted to the Nursing office. Criminal background check and drug screen results will be sent to the School of Nursing by the screening agencies when the student uses the recommended vendors.
- Authorization to register for classes will take place within two working days after results are received.
- There will be no exceptions to campus registration deadlines.
- This requirement does not affect general education courses. Students may pre-register for general education courses as usual. The student’s seat in nursing classes will be available until the registration deadline.
*Online RN to BSN Completion students exempt
** Online and Traditional RN to BSN Completion students exempt
- Criminal background check. Go to the IU Southeast Nursing website and click on the criminal background check link that is located below the Dean’s welcoming statement.
- There you will register, e-authorize and pay on-line.
- The company (Safe Hiring Solutions) will send results of your background check to the School of Nursing.
- Drug screen may be obtained through Occupational Medicine Physicians. However, if preferred, the student may choose to use another federally certified laboratory as the source for testing.
- The 10 panel drug screen includes testing for cocaine metabolites, benzodiazepines, methadone, methaqualone, barbiturates, marijuana metabolite, opiates, phencyclidine, amphetamines, and propoxyphene/metabolite.
- Cost: $32 (subject to change). Either cash or credit card is accepted for payment of services.
- Photo ID is required. No appointment is necessary.
- Results will be sent to the School of Nursing
Occupational Medicine Physicians:
3605 Northgate Ct., Suite 110
New Albany, IN 47150
Phone: (812) 949-5749
Fax: (812) 949-5794
2201 Greentree North
Clarksville, IN 47129
Phone: (812) 283-2013
Fax: (812) 283-2538
Effective Date: Fall 2011
Approved by: Admission, Progression, Graduation Committee: November 14, 2011
Approved by: Council of Nursing Faculty: November 21, 2011
III. General Policies
- C-1 Annual Requirements and Registering for Nursing Classes
- C-2 Approval of Undistributed Courses
- C-3 Definition of Clock Hour per Credit Hour
- C-4 Course Time Limit
- C-5 Essential Abilities
- C-6 Nursing Scholarships / Financial Assistance
- C-7 Academics and Grievances
- C-8 Use of Social Media and other Electronic Communication
- C-9 Withdrawal from Nursing Courses
- C-10 Dismissal Policy
- C-11 Reinstatement to the Nursing Major
- C-12 Clinical Contracts
- C-13 Student Retention Algorithm