Sociology involves the gathering of information about society. The information is used to make generalizations and predictions about causes and consequences.
Sociology is appealing to those who want to work with people in various helping professions, to take part in the planning of communities and their facilities, to work toward solving social problems, and to gather information and test hypotheses about social life.
Advising and Career Coaching
- Budget Analyst
- Career Counselor
- Career Planning Professional
- Correctional Officer
- Hospital Administrator
- Human Resources Specialist
- Market Research Analyst
- Medical Secretary
- Program Director
- Recreational Therapist
- Rehabilitation Counselor
- Social Worker
- Technical Writer
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals
- American Sociological Association Resources for Students
- Global Studies Association of North America
- International Sociological Association
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
- South Louisville Community Ministries
- Raptor Rehabilitation of Kentucky Inc
- Volunteers of America Mid-States
- Boys & Girls Haven
- American Red Cross – Kentucky Region
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kentuckiana, Inc.
- C.H.O.C.E. Inc.
- Family and Children’s Place
- CASA of the River Region
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- Humana – Team Engagement Specialist Intern
- Center for Women and Families – Legal Advocate Intern
- Make-A-Wish Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana – Wish Program Intern
- Volunteers of America – Nonprofit Management Intern
- TG Missouri – Human Resources Intern
- Department of Public Advocacy – Investigation Intern
- Associates of Counseling and Psychotherapy – Case Management Intern
- Trinity Learning Center Ministry – Assistant Preschool Teacher Intern
- Jeffersonville Telephone Center, U.S. Census Bureau – Telephone Interviewer Intern
- All About Kids Sports Center – Special Events Coordinator Intern
This top employers list was created using the LinkedIn Alumni Tool.
- Norton Healthcare
- Ireland Home Based Services
- Clark Memorial Hospital
- The Whitley Associates, LLC
- Jefferson County Public Schools
- LG&E and KU Energy LLC
- U.S. Census Bureau