Professional nursing involves three fundamental aspects of practice: care of the sick in and across all environments, health promotion, and population-based health care.
Nurses with Bachelor's Degrees in Nursing have an increased focus on health promotion and risk reduction among individuals and populations, and are called upon to design and implement measures to modify risk factors and promote engagement in healthy lifestyles.
Students will be prepared to enter a workforce that is changing rapidly. As generalists in professional nursing practice, they will enter a wide variety of nursing roles in traditional and non-traditional settings. They will be able to assume leadership in the current and the future health care system and will be ready for the adaptations required by today's health care professionals.
Advising and Career Coaching
Shelby Landis RN, MSN
School of Nursing Advisor
Assistant Clinical Professor
Life Sciences 276B
Phone: (812) 941-2560
- Registered Nurse in the following areas:
- Acute Care
- Diabetes Nursing
- Maternity Ward Nursing
- Physiological Nursing
- Public Health
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals
- American Telemedicine Association
- Kentucky Nurses Association
- Kentucky Organization of Nurse Leaders
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- Nursing Society
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
- Floyd County Center for Women and Children
- Clark County Youth Shelter
- Family Community Clinic
- Premier Hospice
- Hope Scarves
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- Global Health Council – Lobbyist Assistant Intern
- University of Louisville Physicians Group – Medical Records Clerk Intern
- Kelli G. Applegate M.D., LLC – Medical Assistant Intern
- Madison Specialty Center, LLC – Internal Medical Assistant Intern
- Jewish Hospital & St. Mary’s HealthCare – Anesthesia Tech Intern
This top employers list was created using the Linkedin Alumni Tool.
- Norton Healthcare
- Clark Memorial Hospital
- Floyd Memorial Hospital and Health Services
- KentuckyOne Health
- Jewish hospital & St. Mary’s Healthcare
- Baptist Health Louisville
- Kindred Healthcare
- Signature Healthcare