Geoscience majors are varied in background and interests. However, most students in this discipline share a common concern of people-environment relationships and foster a desire to better understand the interrelationships of these phenomena. In order to succeed well in the discipline, prospective majors should have the potential to achieve cartographic and/or statistical skills; possession of these skills will enable them to better synthesize and interpret geographic data. Having the ability to express their findings in a clear straightforward manner will also contribute to their success in the field.
The concentrations for Geosciences major are:
- Environmental geography
- Geographical information science
- Human geography
- Physical geography
Advising and Career Coaching
Learn from Professionals
Social Media and Networking
Consider following and/or joining these local and national organizations to meet professionals
- American Meteorological Society
- American Planning Association
- Geospatial Information and Technology Association
- Kentucky Association of Mapping Professionals
- National Council for Geographic Education
- The Association of American Geographers
Find and join IU Southeast student organizations through Grenadier Central.
Volunteer positions are a great way to get exposed to your field(s) of interest and to invest time in your local community.
- Raptor Rehabilitation of Kentucky
- Louisville Metro Parks and Recreation
- New Directions Housing Corporation
- Louisville Water Company
IU Southeast students have completed the following internships to get related experience for their majors. For information on currently available internship opportunities, visit the Internships job board.
- Department of Natural Resources – Naturalist/Wildlife Rehab Assistant, Recourse Specialist Intern
- Kentucky Air National Guard – Geoprocessing Specialist I Intern
- Catoctin Mountain Park – Geosciences/Soils/GIS Specialist Intern
- Specialty Earth Sciences – Field Technician Intern
- Indiana Caverns – Caverns Intern
- Washington County Community Foundation – History Intern
- City of Indianapolis, Mayor’s Office – Veteran Services Intern
- Transit Authority of River City (TARC) – Sustainability Program Manager Intern
- The Geological Society of America-GeoCorps America – Education Specialist Intern
- Walnut Grove Farm Nursery – Horticulture/ Plant Specialist Intern
This top employers list was created using the LinkedIn Alumni Tool.
- U.S. Census Bureau
- UPS Supply Chain Solutions
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- August Mack Environmental, Inc.
- Louisville Water Company
- Fastenal Company
- Stock Yards Bank & Trust
- Intat Precision, Inc.